Billing Patient Reviews Effectively - Automatic Code (AXA)
By using MDBilling.ca’s software automation you can save time, improve accuracy, and ultimately, maximize your monthly revenue.
Important: please familiarize yourself with the Schedule of Benefits, and how the automation codes work. If you are not sure, do not use the automation codes.
RE/ASSESSMENTS (AXA) – "Patient Review" or "Follow Ups"
The MDBilling.ca automation allows for a physician to bill a single code for a “follow up”, and our software will automatically choose the highest paying assessment based on existing codes previously billed in our database. The algorithm will choose the highest paying re/assessment code first, and subsequently bill assessment codes in decreasing fee value, taking into account that each re/assessment code has a limit of the number of times it can be billed per every 12 months, as per the rules from the OHIP Schedule of Benefits (section GP14-16).
This automatic code is available for the following disciplines:
Automation rules (replace  with your 2 digit specialty):
HOW TO USE:
Simply use the automatic code: AXA (replace  with your 2 digit specialty), and our system will maximize your follow-up billings for you.
As an example:
- Internal Medicine (13), the automatic code for Re/Assessment is: A13XA
- Cardiology (60), the automatic code for Re/Assessment is: A60XA
- Medical Oncology (44), the automatic code for Re/Assessment is: A44XA
- Hematology (61), the automatic code for Re/Assessment is: A61XA
- Respirology (47), the automatic code for Re/Assessment is: A47XA
You no longer have to determine which re/assessment code to bill. Just bill AXA and we will automatically choose the correct code for you.
Please note the automation code only works for “A” prefix codes, but not with “C” prefix codes.
You can find your two-digit specialty under:
PREFERENCES - MY DETAILS - Specialty (see screenshot below)
When billing AXA with Chronic Disease Assessment Premium (E078A), please take the following steps:
- Add the automatic code AXA first and SAVE the claim
- Once our software resolves the automatic code, you can then add the E078A and SAVE the claim. The premium will then be automatically attached to the assessment code, which allows the proper fee to be calculated.
Related: Use EVA to bill virtual assessments with Chronic Disease Assessment Premium (E078A). Please see Automatic Code EVA - K083 for Follow-Up/Assessments + E078 for more details.
Please find more automation codes by logging into our portal -> HELP -> “Automation Codes”.
There is also a video tutorial that teaches you how to use Automation OHIP Code
For more billing tips, please check out our Billing Tip Library.
Questions? Check under the HELP tab or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org